Online Casino Bonuses in Canada- Collect And Play
Canadian players can pick up excellent good value from online casino bonuses and give their new account a strong kickstart. There are different types of Welcome Bonuses for new players, as well as ongoing bonuses to keep existing players loyal, and we look closely at all of the offers from the sites we review so that we can recommend the very best online casino bonus for you.
On our casino review pages, you’ll find the very latest casino bonuses – including no deposit bonuses – so you can be sure that you’re getting the hottest and best value Canadian casino bonuses the market has to offer.
Best online casino bonuses Offers
Types of bonuses
- Welcome / Sign Up Bonuses: Essentially, a Welcome Bonus at an online casino gives new players something for nothing – but unfortunately, like most things in life, it’s a little more complicated than that!
Sign up bonuses differ from casino to casino, but generally speaking they’ll fall into one of these categories:
- Single deposit match bonus: When you make a first deposit into your account, the casino matches that amount (usually 100% but it can be as high as 200%).
- Tiered match bonus: You receive a variety of % matches on your first three or four deposits.
- No deposit bonus: You’re given free spins or games when signing up and registering for a new account and although there are time restrictions and a limit on winnings, this is the sort of no deposit casino bonus Canada players should take advantage of.
- Reload bonuses: This is a bonus which rewards players who deposit regularly. Every month, or perhaps more often, you’ll be offered a “reload” bonus, where the casino will credit you with a percentage of your most recent deposit – free of charge! You’ll face wagering requirements, of course, but it’s still free money when you need it most!
- High roller bonus: If you’re dropping $1,000 on every spin, then a $200 welcome bonus will just waste your time. High roller (or VIP) bonuses cater to players who pour the most money into the casino. There are VIP programmes which reward regular play, and deposit matches worth thousands of bucks – if you have the cash!
- Refer a friend bonus: While they’re a bit scarce nowadays, some casinos will offer you a fixed sum of cash (often as much as $50) for every friend you personally recommend that makes a deposit. You’ll be given a special signup link and, whenever a friend uses it, the bonus cash goes straight into your account!
- Cash bonus: You receive a small cash sum to play with when you register for a new account.
- Payment method bonus: you get an additional bonus when you use a preferred payment method (usually an e-wallet) to make you first deposit.
Popular Casino Games
Play-through requirements: Any free money you score as a Welcome Bonus will come with some strings attached in the form of wagering requirements. When you’re looking at the wagering requirements attached to a sign up offer, you need to consider:
- The size of the playthrough.
- Whether the wagering requirement only refers to your deposit or whether it’s applied to your deposit and the bonus you receive.
- How much different games contribute towards the playthrough.
Number of wagers: The playthrough requirement is usually expressed as a multiple e.g., 20x or 40x, etc. This figure is the number of times you have to wager either your deposit sum, or the sum of your deposit + the bonus, before you cash out any of the bonus you were awarded or the winnings you made from them.
Playthrough example: Imagine you’ve signed up at a site that offers an online casino bonus consisting of a 100% match on your first deposit and a 30x playthrough. You deposit $200, so you now have $400 to play with. If the wagering requirement applies only to your deposit, you’ll need to wager $6000 (30 x $200) before you can cash out, or $12,000 if the playthrough applies to your deposit + the bonus sum (30 x $400).
Slot Games Playthrough
Slots contribution: Different games make different contributions to meeting the playthrough, but at the Canadian online casinos we recommend, slots games contribute 1:1 (often expressed as 100%). This means that every $1 you wager counts in full towards the total sum you have to wager to meet the wagering requirement.
Other games: This is not the case for all online casino games, and table games almost never contribute to the playthrough 100%. This means that if you play craps, roulette, or baccarat, this will affect the overall value of a Welcome Bonus.
Industry-average requirements: Most of the casinos that we recommend will have an industry-average wagering requirement in the region of 30x – although at some it’s low as 20x while at others it can be up to 50%. However, our casino reviews always make clear the precise conditions of any Welcome Bonus and its associated playthrough.
Bonus Clearing Techniques
In order to clear the wagering requirements attached to a bonus so you can cash out, it’s important to know what you’re signing up for before you begin. Therefore, the most effective bonus clearing technique is to understand what’s required and match your deposit size, wagering strategy and game choice accordingly:
- How much do you have to deposit to get the full bonus? With some tiered deposit bonuses, although the individual matches look great, the sum you actually have to deposit to get the full amount might put the bonus out of your reach.
- Know how long you have to make all of the deposits: If it’s a tiered match bonus, as a short time span could make it difficult for you to make all the deposits in the required time.
- Check that slots contribute to the playthrough 100% and if you like to play other games, make sure you know what their relative contribution is as well.
Ultimately, if you want to be able to clear the bonus, make sure you choose a signup offer that suits you, your bankroll and your playing style. Slots games are always the best bet, as they are the quickest way to meet the playthrough so you can cash out your bonus and your winnings.
Cashable vs non-cashable bonuses
Cashable bonus: A cashable bonus allows you, once wagering requirements have been met, to cash out both your own money and the bonus you were awarded as part of your sign up. For instance, in the example above, you deposit $200 with a 100% deposit match bonus, giving you a $400 bankroll. After meeting the playthrough, you have grown your bankroll to $800. This full amount can now be withdrawn.
Non-cashable bonus: However, if the same scenario was to be repeated with a non-cashable bonus, after meeting the wagering requirements you would only be able to withdraw $600 as you are unable to cash out the $200 bonus you received.
Cash out: There is often a maximum cash out associated with an online casino no deposit bonus or a free spins bonus. This could mean that the amount you can win from your deposit is limited and in some cases these winnings will be credited to your bonus account to continue playing with but cannot be withdrawn.
Which type of bonus is right for you?
Casual players: It all comes down to the kind of games you like to play, and how much money and time you’re willing to invest. For example, if you’re only going to wager $50 every few weeks, then a one-off welcome bonus would suit you perfectly: a nice big purse, without the need to gamble every day to meet the wagering requirements.
However, if you deposit regularly, and frequently burn through your winnings, a reload bonus could help save you some cash since it pays back money you’ve already lost. The trouble with free spins is that they are usually offered on a limited range of games– a proper cash bonus give you more freedom!
High rollers: You should try to nab the very best VIP loyalty schemes and high roller welcome bonuses out there. These will match your extravagant wallet, and provide the best return over time – no question!
If you’re considering a Welcome Bonus where you get multiple deposit matches, you should think about:
- How much cash do I need to deposit to get the full bonus, and how much money will actually end up in my account?
- How many deposits do I need to make, and in what time frame?
- Playthrough: do I need to wager my bonus amount and deposit? And what percentage of the playthrough will be removed for non-slots games, like roulette or blackjack?
Play for free: In choosing a no deposit casino bonus, Canada players have the chance to play for free without adding funds to their new account. Usually awarded just for registering, a no deposit bonus gives you free play for either a set number of spins or period of time, with winnings (which are generally limited) then being credited to your bonus account and yours to play with once you make a first deposit.
In some cases, once you meet the playthrough, winnings can be withdrawn, so check in advance whether winnings are cashable or non-cashable.
Deals on a go: The mobile casinos we recommend offer new players the same Welcome Bonuses that are available at their main sites. Some sites also offer special one-off deals for players who set up their account in the mobile casino, so if you play regularly on a mobile device or tablet, it’s worth checking out whether you can pick up an extra deal.
Getting a friend to sign up can be a good way to pick up a free bonus, as a number of Canadian online casinos have schemes whereby if a buddy that you recommend signs up for an account and makes a deposit, you pick up a free bonus, usually free spins or casino credits.
Get your refer a friend bonus at: Betway.
On signing up / 1st deposit: Increasingly, Canadian casinos offer free spins as part of their welcome offer in addition to a deposit match. Sometimes, you’re awarded the free spins on registering for a new account but before you make a deposit, although usually it’s the case that you get a proportion of the free spins on signing up and the rest when you make your first deposit(s) into your account.
Your account: The winnings from free spins are credited to your bonus account (there may be a limit on how much you can win) and you can continue playing with them or, at some casinos, you can cash out these winnings once you’ve met the wagering requirements. When you’re awarded a free spins bonus as part of a signup offer, they’re usually on a selected slots game and there will be a limited time in which you can use them.
Click here to check the latest free spins bonuses.
Regular players can often land high roller or VIP bonuses in recognition of their loyalty. These are usually in the form of award points, which are accumulated every time you play and can then be exchanged for casino credits. Free spins are another form of reward given to high rollers and VIPs, along with a range of other benefits.
With this guide to online casino bonuses, all Canadian slots players – whether you’re experienced or a newbie, a high roller or just play casually – should be better placed to understand how the latest casino bonuses work and which sort of offer will benefit you most. Knowing what to look for is half the battle, but if you use these tips you should be able to get great value from your casino bonus of choice.